It's FWG versus the dictionary. This should only take a hundred years or so.
I was twelve, thin, slightly more than average height and blessed with a knack for athletics. I had just stepped onto a lacrosse floor for the first time in my life, strung up in out-dated, cumbersome, ineffective lacrosse pads.
Immediately the coaches divided us into sides and dropped the ball for a practice scrimmage face-off. The ball squirted off to the boards and I won the race to it, eager to show the in-crowd boys what this new kid could do.
And what I could do, as it turns out, was get immediately clobbered from behind by a mutant 12-year-old who could have passed for a chunky 16-year-old, and get driven face-first into the boards. Apparently Brutus was just as eager to show what he could do.
I hauled myself off the floor as promptly as my spinning head would allow and then spent my entire first lacrosse season playing defense only, conveniently losing loose-ball battles, pasing off too quickly and trying to avoid getting maimed.
Our squad's veteran players harrassed the coaches to name a captain and two assistant captains; a pointless ceremony at our age, but the experienced boys knew that jerseys looked more impressive with a C or A stitched on them. So the coaches relented, though ironically, and assigned the honours to the three rookies on the team; myself included, which the vets accepted with surprising grace.
I would return the following season with my pads cleverly modified and an inexplicable new confidence and get placed on the top line with the fourteen year-olds and soon develop into a better-than-average player but with a lack of spirit and very little 'touch' around the net for lack of opportunity.
In my sixth season which I knew to be my last of minor lacrosse, I finally tried out for the travelling team and made the cut, though barely. And in the game which I soon understood would be my last; an elimination match in the year-end Provincials tournament, as we went into the third period down a couple goals, I suddenly mourned what was seeming to come to an end, and I came alive. I played my heart out for twenty minutes, crashing into an opponent to win a loose-ball battle just before the closing buzzer halted my uncharacteristic charge to the opponents' net.
In the quiet dressing room after, though I hadn't scored a single point as was often the case, the coach said loudly, from across the room, that I'd played a great game, and other players, some who'd snickered at me in earlier years, looked at me and nodded their heads. Some echoed his words. I said nothing. It only made this fine experience harder to let go. I would only miss it more; this very skilled team; this fine sport at this elevated calibre; this sudden new feeling of belonging.
In that final twenty minutes I had finally re-discovered the eagerness which had been born and lost years earlier, in a span of five seconds.
I can't help but wonder how many people's lives have run according to this metaphor; spirit lost too early; regained too late. I hope my own is not.
Brutus - I think his actual name was Stu - turned out to be a nice kid, by the way, and right after that first practice he apologized to me for the hit. I never did take any opportunity to perform in a role of assistant captain that year and I never had mom stitch an A on my jersey.
Blooming on the Barbed Wire
-
Blooming against the fence. Blooming on barbed wire. It's not the stuff of
dreams, not the heart's desire. But still it does its best. The blooms are
prof...
22 hours ago


No comments:
Post a Comment