Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Miracle of miracles…

... I seem to actually be getting my shit together.

I pretty much completed the vision/mandate/goals exercise and discovered that I required an additional layer (I’ll call them directives) between mandate and goals. I just need to finish making the goals measurable and to such a degree that I can actually measure my productivity on a daily basis and hold myself to a sort of performance standard.

I’m still technically in migration mode into this new approach to living/prioritizing but the migration has been aggressive. I’d say I’m at 90% or more, daily, and have been for more than a month. I’ve been very productive since mid-May and consistently exercising and eating right since June 1st and 3rd respectively and feeling very confident about it. And feeling healthier, thinner and more limber. I have not weighed myself at all and I really don’t think I need to. For now I plan to trust how I feel in essence. I can hike farther without needing a rest and there is actually some clearance between my belly and the steering wheel again!

The vision-through-goals exercise was very revealing. The emergent goals look suspiciously much like what I was already doing in my own inconsistent way, which arouses the spectre of self-fulfilling prophecy but there is some new stuff, and more significantly, the procedure has revealed precisely how to prioritize everything.

Unfortunately it also demonstrated that giving up the reading/writing volunteer work in favor of the justice/rehabilitation work was very much the wrong decision. And I’m not sure yet how to handle that. I feel like I’ve made a pretty firm commitment to Grandpa Munster and the Circles community.

Image borrowed from University of Toronto Living Leadership blog - or whoever they borrowed it from.

1 comment:

IntrepidReader said...

Way to go Rich! I noticed your shirt was hanging looser yesterday. I wish I had your stamina...self discipline...whatever you want to call it...motivation might be a better word. I have productive days, but never, ever have I had a productive month. But I have to say there is nothing like visiting the hospital continuing care ward to inspire a wellness plan NOW, because I would rather die than end up like the people I saw today. Keep on keepin' on, my friend.