Sunday, January 16, 2022

Fried: Hiroshima

Gary O'Connor was the son of Canadian Jazz musician Billy O'Connor. Following in Pop's musical footsteps he played with bands The Synics, The Spasstiks, Cat, Liverpool, Aerial and Kid Rainbow before going solo under the name Gary O' in 1981. By 1984 he'd managed two albums, a handful of modest hits, and captured a Juno Award for Most Promising Male Vocalist. He wrote songs for 38 Special, Molly Hatchet, Eddie Money and others. Spotify appears not to know he exists.

One of the last songs he ever wrote and performed for himself concerns the slaying of Japanese at Hiroshima. To this day I'm not sure how I feel about his approach to it, but in high school I loved this song for its sound and I still find it captivating. It's with Shades of 45 that my Spotifried playlist was born.


No comments: