Monday, January 30, 2006

A little faith restored

A quick update on the haircut situation. I went back to work this week despite looking like Bert from Bert & Ernie. Me and my ‘faux-hawk’. The experience is shaping up to be a valuable one. It’s very heart-warming and inspirational to witness people being confronted by a warped-headed individual - a kind of monster - an elephant man, and instead of ridiculing, laughing or screaming and fleeing, everyone is saying very earnestly that it looks good.

“Oh, it makes you look younger. Really. No, really.”

Amazing. The kindness that still exists in this cold cynical world.

On a similar vein, I was out for breakfast yesterday and witnessed a young family leaving the restaurant. You won’t believe this but it’s true, I swear. As they passed my table the young boy said “Thanks for breakfast Dad.”

Dad replied, “Your mom paid for breakfast.”

The boy said, “Thanks Mom!”

I told you you wouldn’t believe me.

I’m still confident the next generation will bring the human race to extinction, if not at least to hell in a handbasket, but at least, for me a bit of faith has been restored.

I hope I’m not dating myself by using the term hell in a handbasket. This is probably not very hip anymore. The other day the president of the company I work for walked into the cafeteria and said, “Boy, this place goes to shit in a handbox when [the receptionist] is away!”

Shit in a handbox? Is that what the cool kids say these days? If you’re a cool kid do let me know. Perhaps Mr President is just ahead of his time. He’s certainly innovative. He’s the president after all.

FWG

No comments: