Driving along the highway about 5 in the evening I heard a terrible rumbling noise and thought - my goodness - what's wrong with the truck? Then I realized it was just my stomach and I hadn't eaten anything all day.
Right about then I passed a giant Mandarin restaurant looming at the side of the highway. In my emaciated state I was in no condition to fight its considerable gravitational pull and found myself exiting at the next interchange and eventually getting sucked through a maze of local streets and into the parking lot of the Mandarin - the behemoth king of bastardized Chinese food buffets.
Inside the lobby I was stunned at the hoard of people sitting and standing around. There had to be a hundred customers waiting.
"Two hours." I heard the team of greeters, each suited in red marching-band outfits, tell the folks in front of me. Heartbroken, I was about to walk out and go find another establishment when one of the band leaders asked, "How many?"
"One," I said.
"Oh, Come. We have tabew fo one!"
Wow! She led me down the wide passage toward the great buffetorium. Here I was jumping a two-hour queue! I presume they were fans of the FWG-bedroom candles hence the rock-star treatment. She pointed out the various neighborhoods within the beffetorium - the salad, dessert etc., and the path to the bathrooms and then led me into one of the four main dining rooms to a cosy table for two.
Considering the scope of my appetite and the modest size of the plates I forecasted a four-course event that would eventually play out as follows:
glazed salmon
shrimp and pea what-not
fresh shrimp w/ seafood sauce
oysters in the shell w/ black bean sauce
fried rice
Kung Foo pork (or something like that)
deep fried chicken in lemon sauce AND sweet'n'sour sauce
saucy ribs
egg roll w/ plum sauce
Chinese noodles
Teriyake meatballs
spicy sweet chicken
dumpling selection
waffles with vanilla sauce and maple syrup
creme brulet
In the middle of round 3 I watched a small kid - maybe three feet high - carry in his plate all by himself. I know it was his first plate because I'd just watched his family arrive and be seated moments earlier. This was his meal:
one tiny piece of broccoli
one small orange thing - a piece of carrot presumably
five STACKS of cookies.
STACKS! The King's ransom of cookies. The motherlode. I had to chuckle aloud. I loved this kid at once. This is a kid who knows what he wants. No messing around. I presume the tidbits of vegetation were intended to satisfy some condition negotiated with the parents. 'Way to stick it to the man,' I thought.
Unfortunately he was soon making another round and this time returned with a bowl containing 5 chicken balls under a heap of red goop. I'm not sure if that's any healthier than a mountain of cookies but clearly 'the man' had won out in the end.
That's when I broke tradition and decided to make my fourth round a dessert round - in honor of the fallen cookie hero.
FWG
Blooming on the Barbed Wire
-
Blooming against the fence. Blooming on barbed wire. It's not the stuff of
dreams, not the heart's desire. But still it does its best. The blooms are
prof...
22 hours ago

3 comments:
I've never seen a Chinese buffet that has creme brulรฉe. One of the buffets here has tapioca for dessert, which I think is just disgusting.
How was the food?
nbiyi is iyibn backwards.
That was an impressive amount of food and considering I have yet to eat today and had only one slice of pizza yesterday, you've made me hungry.
The food... was very yummy.
Post a Comment