Sunday, December 30, 2007

Film: I am Legend

The Deity recommended it. I watched the trailer on-line and knew I had to see it. All I really absorbed is that it was a ‘post-apocalypse’ type of scenario –which always intrigues me.

Wow! I hesitate to say anything about this movie other than, ‘Stop what you’re doing. Go immediately to the theatre and buy a ticket for the next showing.’

Okay, for those of you too foolish to have taken my advice and are still reading; here’s the skinny:

I don’t like action movies. And the only kind of movies I like less than action movies are horror movies. That’s me. And yet despite prominent elements of action and some elements of horror – I loved this movie. I was impressed right from the opening shot and glued to the screen for the duration.

It’s a very well-crafted story. They lay down some solid clues, withhold some critical information ‘til the time is right, throw out a little ambiguity and the result is a wildly suspenseful ride.

The setting is visually fascinating with vast artificial scenery that looks dead real.

Star Wil Smith has won me over. I don’t normally notice great acting performances. I only notice the bad ones. But I’ll be surprised if Smith doesn’t get the Oscar for this and downright floored if he isn’t even nominated. The role was heavy and challenging and he was brilliant.

If I must criticize, some elements of the biological science at play is almost surely flawed and there are certain lame-o direction/production tricks – the kind that plague every Hollywood suspense movie ever made as far as I know. I grow so bloody weary of these that it’s exhausting but Hollywood is Hollywood and certain formulas sell. So be it. I forgive.

This is instantly one of my favorite films of all time. ‘Nuff said. Go to the theatre. Go!


3 comments:

EuroYank - Virginia Hoge said...

Like you I also have a split personality, but the added advantage of growing up in two cultures ... the American and the European and being also the byproduct of several nation states.

Five personalities does have its advantages, and your writing does remind me of my blog side.

Anonymous said...

Alex saw this, he LOVED it. He described a scene where he drives by and see's a Fred, manniquin? where it wasn't supposed to be. "Holy, that made me jump!"

Combined with your review, I gotta go too!

Babs Gladhand said...

I guess I know what movie I'm seeing next. Maybe. If I don't chicken out. I don't do scary very well.