Thursday, July 30, 2009

Summer is for kids and kids-at-heart.

The ever excellent Fumadiddle has published the following advice: 20 things to do this summer to be a kid again. I support it whole-heartedly but I must add some clarifications:

1. Catch lightning bugs.
Is that the same thing as fireflies?

2. Play hopscotch.
Sounds like a recipe for broken ankles. Can I just draw chalk pictures in public places instead?

3. Chase down the ice cream truck.
Did that once. Turned out to be a knife-sharpener guy instead. Luckily I had a knife on me. I hadn't been planning to pay for the ice cream, you see.

4. Blow soap bubbles.
Saw him the other day. He says Hi.

5. Hula hoop.
Not a chance in hell.

6. Swing.
I've heard about those parties. No thanks.

7. Have friends over to play hide and go seek.
We thought Ollie was a welfare case. Turns out that "Ollie-Ollie income-free" was supposed to be "All ye, all ye in, come free."

8. Cloud watch.
Ah, yes. And try it at night too. Especially if there's snow on the ground and a fullish moon.

9. Camp out in the back yard.
Best done a couple yards away from another batch of campers. Launch crab apples at them all night. Great fun.

10. Jump off a rope swing over a river.
We call that water skiing now.

11. Play in the sprinkler.
That's what Mom always said when declining a request to go swimming, which always infuriated me but in hindsight, it was better than "Go play in traffic" I suppose.

12. Have a mud fight.
Might eating a Mile-High Mud Pie dessert count?

13. Build an indoor fort with chairs and sheets.
Add a couple card tables for a fort-mansion.

14. Eat watermelon on the back porch and spit the seeds.
The goal is to land them in your friend’s hair, of course.

15. Have a water balloon or squirt gun war.
Have you seen the weapons of watery mass destruction they manufacture these days?

16. Climb a tree.
My childhood climbing-tree finally got cut down in the last year. There can never be another.

17. Skip stones.
And hold hands. And get an old gold Chevy and a place of your own.

18. Go wading in a creek.
Does the hot tub count?

19. Create a masterpiece with sidewalk chalk.
I see the end of the list is coming and you haven’t yet said, clip a hockey card to your spokes to make your bike a motorbike. I guess that was strictly a boy thing.

20. Laugh until your sides hurt.
That's why I visit your blog, Flumadiddle.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Sweet Jebus, I nearly licked the screen. We have GOT to drag our expansive asses to The Keg!!!

Fantasy Writer Guy said...

Deal. See you tonight.