Tuesday, September 08, 2015

accompany /əˈkəmp(ə)nē/

A lot of people tip their hand; reveal perhaps, why they are single when they talk about their idea of sharing their life with someone; "having someone special around," they say, "to make my big moments more special."

For me to ever be lured back into some permutation of couplehood, I would have to be so in love that my moments would play second fiddle to those of the beloved. It seems like many of you are not looking for a companion but for a witness.

1 comment:

IntrepidReader said...

Let me offer a different perspective here. I have spent most of my life in relationships where the other person's "moments" have been first and foremost in our lives together. My "moments" have been celebrated only if everything in the other person's life is going well. That to me is not a loving relationship. By loving someone so much that they come first for me, I have lost my own self. I would like to hope that when people say they want to someone to be there to make their moments more special they are saying they want someone to share those moments, not witness them. But to be there and celebrate together all the wonderful things in their lives together. At least that it was I am holding out for.