Saturday, January 15, 2022

De-Commissioned

Well it's been a season for correspondence over at Crazy Commissionaires Security Corps.

Just before Christmas I received an interesting and unexpected package. Contained in a rather substantial folder emblazoned with a House of Commons emblem (Canadian parliament) were a pair of government certificates signed by real life-federal politicians thanking me for twelve years of service with Commissionaires. Also present were two military type medals which one would wear on one's uniform, I presume only at special events or on special occasions.

I was impressed and touched. I felt
grateful and proud to be a Commissionaire. Of course it's all a bit dodgy as I'm sure this is an honour intended for the military veterans for whom the company was originally built to serve. I am not a veteran but have had the privilege to work for them because their client requirements exceed the availability of veteran employees. So I'm aware that the 12-year service fuss, in my case, is an indulgent courtesy. I'll take it though. I'm generally proud of the work we did. They're an excellent vendor and employer.

Then, at Christmas I received a signed holiday greeting card from them.

Two weeks later they sent me a signed birthday card.

And two days after that I received...

My letter of termination!

LOL (yes I really laughed out loud just now).

I'd long known about short-term disability and long-term disability but I didn't realize there was one more designation after that which I presume is called you're dead to us now disability.

Oh well! It's true I am currently unemployable in the security field. I'm just disappointed that after all we've been through that they had to treat me like a total stranger in the tone of the communication. But I presume that all has to do with legal liability strategies and such. Even when there are no lawyers in the room, in this society, there is always a motherfucking lawyer in the room! 

But I don't care. I still choose to live as though there is not, to the endless worry of my associates who have collectively predicted a hundred and one versions of my legal demise. They don't know how to do the accounting when it comes to forms of freedom they have never experienced. Even on the very few occasions they're been right they've been wrong.

Well, I wasn't expecting that tangent!

I think it's likely that security will regain a role in my income formula post-recovery, along with a couple other things which I should soon mention. I'm hopeful Commissionaires might re-hire me if I can fully recover.

For now I'm just happy to be here!

Cheers!

No comments: