Thursday, January 11, 2007

I can't live without you, Bernadette

On CBC radio, during this morning’s drive they did a piece on tech trash, largely concerning Apple’s strategy of designing iPods to be disposable and non-repairable - destined for the most part, for third-world countries. Ostensibly we pay them to recycle. Ostensibly they do not incinerate hazardous materials to the detriment of their citizens.

CBC found a renegade iPod repair shop and did some interviewing there. A customer, Allison, was asked, “What kind of iPod do you have?”

“I’m not sure,” said Allison, “A Mini - I guess? It’s pink and her name is Bernadette. And I couldn’t imagine living without her.”


It’s pink.

It's name is Bernadette.

I’m intrigued. I had no idea this sort of thing was going on. Perhaps I shall special-order one of these iPod creatures. I shall request one that is Jade green, who is smug and cynical and is named... Hm... Mr. Noob.

Or perhaps I shall just contact my commander and request reassignment to a different planet.

6 comments:

Babs Gladhand said...

I want an orange one and I will name it, I mean HER Gatterspanky.

Please don't leave our planet. We would miss you terribly.

Dave said...

I named my 60G iPod 'Pod!'. Then I realized I was just holding it upside down.

Fantasy Writer Guy said...

Okay - I was just kidding about the planet thing. Much like the disenchanted child who fantasizes that he/she is actually adopted - I'm just a resentful Earthling (sigh)

Gatterspanky? I'm intrigued. Please elaborate re the origin of this name!

Davey-boy, You'll want to hold it right-side up when you're out there trying to impress the size queens with your 60G unit.

Babs Gladhand said...

Fwig - Gatterspanky was a spur of the moment made up word. Well, duh, of course it's made up. It's just what popped into my head when I wondered what I would call my iPod, should I have one. Which I don't.

Now, had you mentioned naming a toothbrush in your post, I would have come up with "Frank". Because everyone should have a toothbrush named Frank.

Why? Because everyone knows that Frank cleans better than Bob.

Just out of curiousity, how much is 60G in inches?

It's late. I need sleep. That's obvious, isn't it?

Dave said...

I'm not so sure about the name Frank for a toothbrush. The Squeeze has a brother named Frank, and I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm pretty sure you can count on one hand how many times a year he uses his toothbrush. I have some proof of this. So when I think of Frank...I certainly do NOT think of anything I would put in my mouth. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww! I think I just threw up a bit.

Kathleen said...

I want an orange iPod too, but I got a black one. It does not have a name yet, and for some reason, I don't envision me giving it a name.

I love CBC.